WEEK OF TASTES IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS
Through a series of fun filled interactive and educational experiences, the Week of Tastes school program aims to establish for Grade 4 children, positive associations with food creation, taste and the act of making good food choices.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The school program consists of two components.
Firstly, a "Lesson Plan" is provided by the Week of Tastes to the class teacher. Its aim is to take the students through a series of fun, sensory exercises which will:
- Enrich a child's vocab by creating a new lexicon for taste
- Discover how all 5 senses are used to appreciate food
- Teach how to discern sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami
- Develop a positive attitude towards tasting new foods
- Encourage curiosity, thinking and analytical skills when eating
Secondly, each class will be visited by a chef, baker or pastry chef from their community. These visits will help the children develop an appreciation for the origin of the food, how it is prepared, its taste as well as hear about the life of someone with a passion for food.